This post highlights great books for kids to read this summer. Follow along as I share everything my own kids are reading!
Affiliate links are used for your shopping convenience. You can read my full disclosures here.
Our local library is opening soon and I could not be more excited! We last hit the library the day before all the schools shut down in Michigan in mid-March. With all of the homeschooling we did, getting my kids to read every day just took a backseat.
Now that school is done, they’ve been reading a lot more and I am on the hunt for some great new books for them to read this summer. My son (age 8) is especially challenging. He likes to read but is much pickier than my daughter (age 10). I struggle with finding good fit books for him so I thought it might be helpful to share some of our favorite great books for kids to read this summer in case it gives you some good ideas too!
Great Books for Kids to Read This Summer
So my daughter will read (or at least choose) just about anything. She has her favorites for sure and right now they include these. I’ve even considered getting her a kid’s Kindle because she reads so much!
- Baby-Sitter’s Club series (graphic novel)
- Baby-Sitter’s Club series (old school) – Side note: these were my faaaaaavorite when I was a kid. She has just started reading these over the past week and I am thrilled that she is so into them!
- Sew Zoey
- Dork Diaries
- Smile | Guts | Sisters
- Descendants series
As I said above, my son is a much pickier reader. He’s a really great reader and enjoys it when I can get him to sit still long enough to do it! He is a really fast reader too so it’s hard to find enough books that he truly likes and wants to read.
- Baseball Mysteries series – these are by far his favorite series! I think he likes these so much that he compares all other books to them and they just don’t measure up!
- Geronimo Stilton series
- Year in Sports
- Who Would Win?
- Who Was | Who Is | Where Is series
- Dog Man
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid
- Eerie Elementary – we are still waiting on these from our library. A teacher friend recommended them as books that most of her class loves!
- Why? 1,111 Answers to Everything – He really seems to like any sort of fact books. There are tons of different varieties for lots of different interests including the 2020 Book of World Records that he likes.
- Zombie Goldfish
- Magic Tree House series – His teacher reads these to her class all year long and both of my kids love these books because of her!
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians – I am going to try and get him to try this series and see if he likes it!
Great Books for Younger Kids
In case your child is a bit younger than mine are, here are some great books for ages 5-7 too!
- Junie B Jones
- Ivy and Bean
- Nancy Drew Clue Crew
- Amelia Bedelia
- Just Grace
- Narhwal and Jelly
- Fly Guy
- Heidi Heckelbeck
I am always on the hunt for great books for my kids to read this summer. Does your child have any favorites that I haven’t mentioned? Please leave me a comment and let me know so we can check them out!
If you’re looking for books for yourself, check out the most anticipated chick lit books being released this summer and everything I read last summer. There are lots of great options in both!