This post is all about the best books to create a Christmas advent calendar! It’s one of our favorite family Christmas traditions and the one I’ll be most sad about our kids outgrowing someday! Read on to find out our favorite Christmas books and how to create the ultimate Christmas book advent calendar!
Christmas book advent calendar has long been one of my favorite family Christmas traditions! When my daughter was little, maybe around 2, I think, I started this fun tradition. A Christmas book advent calendar is basically the same as a regular advent calendar – only it has wrapped books to open every day instead of chocolate or treats! I don’t number or pre-arrange mine. Instead, the kids just take turns picking which book to open each night.
I stumbled upon this tradition from some moms, pre-Pinterest (you know, the olden days ;)) on a scrapbooking message board that I used to frequent. I loved the idea so much that I tucked it away in the back of my mind for when I had kids some day.
Well, fast forward to some day and we’ve been doing it ever since. The bin used to be filled with Christmas board books and now has a mix of old favorites and new books that are a little more appropriate for older kids. My kids are great readers who are both into chapter books therefore our Christmas books aren’t challenging for them or anything but it’s really just about making the season special and having a fun tradition.
Looking to create your own Christmas family traditions? I’ve got a free Christmas Family Fun Checklist so you can keep track of all the fun! My kids love filling it out every year!
I wasn’t sure if they would want to do it again (last year, there were a few grumbles about some of the books being too baby-ish) but my kids saw the books when I pulled them out to wrap and photograph them for this post. Both of them said they were excited to do the Christmas book advent calendar again so here we go!
When the holiday season is done, I like to pack the books up with the rest of the decorations. I think that this is key in making this feel special. When they only see the books for one month of the year, they forget about them and then they become like new again!
Best Books to Create a Christmas Book Advent Calendar
As I mentioned above, we started with baby board books and have moved on from there. By now, I’ve amassed a collection of well over 25 books that get wrapped. Therefore, we nearly have enough now that they each can pick a book per night. And let’s face it, that keeps the fighting to a minimum so it’s a win-win for us parents!
Below is a list of 50 of the best books to create the ultimate Christmas book advent calendar!
- Little Blue Truck
- How to Catch an Elf
- Joy of Giving
- Santa’s Underwear
- The Littlest Reindeer
- Construction Site on Christmas Night
- Bears Stays Up for Christmas
- Llama Llama Jingle Bells
- Dear Santa
- Corduroy’s Christmas Surprise
- Weird but True Christmas Facts
- Merry Christmas Mom and Dad
- Pinkalicious: Merry Pinkmas!
- The Littlest Elf
- Madeline’s Christmas
- Olivia Helps with Christmas
- The Berenstain Bears: Merry Christmas
- The Berenstain Bears: Trim the Tree
- Toot and Puddle: Let It Snow
- Night Before Christmas
- Merry Christmas Stinky Face
- The Gingerbread Man
- A Silly Milly Christmas
- Where Would Santa Go?
- Reindeer of the Year
- Clark the Shark Loves Christmas
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow
- The Christmas Selfie Contest
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell
- Froggy’s Best Christmas
- The Berenstain Bears: The Very First Christmas
- Merry Christmas Amelia Bedelia
- Merry Christmas Little Critter
- A Cookie for Santa
- The Berenstain Bears: Winter Wonderland
- How to Catch a Santa
- Olive the Other Reindeer
- The Berenstain Bears: The Nutcracker
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama
- The Gingerbread Bear
- A Christmas Wish for Corduroy
- Georgie the Gingerbread Fairy
- The Biggest Snowman Ever
- Snowmen at Work
- The Berenstain Bears: Meet Santa Bear
- The Berenstain Bears: The Christmas Angel
- The Not Very Merry Pout-Pout Fish
- Christmas Parade
- Merry Christmas, Little Pookie
- The ABCs of Christmas
In conclusion, my kids absolutely love this Christmas book advent calendar! Do you have a favorite Christmas kid’s book? I’d love to know which ones you love so drop me a comment and let me know!